My friend Fernando, who likes math, brought me the following calculations, which I post here for your consideration.

The newspaper Granma published some figures and percentages regarding the preliminary results of last Sunday’s elections. Applying mathematics, we get some interesting data:

1. If 8,205,994 people voted, equivalent to 94.69% of those registered, then 460,173 people did not vote, representing the remaining 5.31%.

2. If of those who voted, 4.58% deposited their ballots blank and 4.33% canceled their ballots, this is equivalent, respectively, to 393,769 and 371,401 citizens.

3. Adding the three figures we get 1,225,343 citizens.

Really it’s a number that anyone who thinks seriously about the elections in our very particular planet has to give some thought to.

Advertisements